Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The End of the World

So I was reading an article on the mysterious deaths of bats from a disease that seems to be spreading from the east coast of the US to other states inexplicably. Apparently the disease, White-nose syndrome, is pretty serious and it doesn't discriminate between the various breeds of bat and is just killing them all. So, just out of curiosity I started wondering and then reading about what sort of impact that the mass extinction of the bat order would do to the ecosystem. Well, come to find out they play a fairly major role when it comes to plant and flower pollination and seed distribution. From what I have read they are pretty much the only animal that does seed distribution for a multitude of tropical plants, leaving those plants without any other form of seed distribution. Now this may seem pretty crazy but I think that this could have greater repercussions then even I am saying. What do bats eat, what other animals rely on them, can the ecosystem bounce back from this? Anyway, it just got me thinking about the environment and how the combination of this, global warming, extinctions from global warming and who knows what else is all kinda happening right around and leading up to the end of the Mayan Calendar, December 9, 2012! Just thought I would share!

No comments: